The Gentry family began our journey into the poultry business in the 1940's with Matt Gentry Sr., a farmer and "chicken man." He traveled around the Saluda county area collecting live chickens from local farmers, placed them in wire cages and carried them to local grocery stores to be sold. The customers would select the chicken they liked and carry it home to prepare at their convenience.
In the late 1950's, Matt Gentry retired and turned the business over to his son W. M. Gentry, Jr., his wife and family. This is when the business became Gentry's Poultry Company. The economy improved and the demands of the customers grew. With increased demands, in house processing began, and the company grew into the corporation it is today. Now, Wes Gentry, III runs the day to day operations with the assistance of Matt Gentry. We offer whole chickens as well as parts with delivery or pick up.
Over the years, the process may change but our quality never will. Our motto remains, "Quality always tells."